Varsity Cross Country
2019 Cross Country
Welcome to the 2019 Chantilly Charger Cross Country Team. We are happy to have you, and applaud your decision to join. This is a sport which tests the body and mind, combining such individual efforts into a solid team and communal goal. We have set lofty goals for this fall, and anticipate a high level of success, borne only through hard work over the summer!
There is a lot to absorb at the beginning of the season. Please know that this applies to the returning veterans and to the rising freshman or CHS newcomer. It is the expectation that you read everything carefully, and that you ask questions promptly. It is important that everyone is on the same page from the get go…this is how strong teams are built.
Administratively, there are a few steps you need to undertake ASAP. All online pre-season info can be found at: www.chargercctrack.com (Go to Cross Country Pre-Season Page in Menu)
Due Friday, June 14th
Due on August 3rd
We will hold our seasonal tryouts on Tuesday, August 6th. You MUST be present to tryout. Failure to show may result in not running this fall. If you are going to be absent on August 6th, you must notify Dr. Gilchrist NO LATER THAN August 3rd, AND HAVE IT EXCUSED. (ie: Family Vacation may be excused; work schedule will not be excused). In the event of an excused absence, make-up tryouts will be held on Friday, August 9th.
The tryouts will be held on our two-mile course at Burke Lake. The tryout standards are as follows:
Boys: Freshman - 15:00; (first year) Sophomores- 14:30; Upperclassmen: 14:00
Girls: Freshman- 17:00; (first year) Sophomores- 16:30; Upperclassmen: 16:00
Athletes who come within ONE MINUTE (1:00) of the standards on August 6th, but do not meet the standard, will be placed in a probationary period. They must meet the standard by a second time trial on Friday, August 23rd, in order to stay on the team. Freshmen who go through the tryout process, and finish within ONE MINUTE (1:00) will be kept on the team, providing they fulfill all other practice/team expectations. They will still be placed on a probationary period, until the standard is met. In this time, they will not be permitted to compete in any races (scrimmage or regular season), until they demonstrate a minimal level of fitness which would suggest that they may be "race-ready".
NOTE: Within the coach’s discretion, a veterans/upperclassman "probationary period" may be extended, if it the time is not met due to injury or illness, rather than a pure lack of fitness. Such medical issues may require documentation by the doctor as requested.
Please DO NOT HESITATE to email us if you have ANY questions of any sort. Your summer training is key to your seasonal success, and it is my job, and my pleasure, to help you adjust as necessary, especially if you are new. My email address is email@example.com . Please use it whenever necessary.
Head Coach, Matt Gilchrist (703) 861-9642 (C) firstname.lastname@example.org
Asst. Coach Matt Stoner email@example.com
Asst. Coach Lauren Soljanyk firstname.lastname@example.org
Asst. Coach Nora Raher email@example.com
Asst. Coach, Anver Ansari firstname.lastname@example.org
- Provide me with your personal data for my database (www.chargercctrack.com) This will also include parent contact info. PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR PARENTS TO ENSURE EMAIL ACCURACY!
- Make plans to get a VHSL Physical TODAY! Do NOT wait until August to get one. Formal practices start on August 5th; you will not be allowed to practice without one. You must use the proper form, which can be found on our team page (Note: it must be the 2017 version of the VHSL Physical Form). Make sure that ALL signatures are completed, and that insurance information is given. If you do not have insurance, see me ASAP. There is inexpensive student insurance available through the school, but it needs to be done in advance.
- All forms, except your physical, are to be submitted to me at Chantilly HS NO LATER THAN FRIDAY, JUNE 14th They can all be downloaded from our team website, www.chargercctrack.com.
- SPIRIT PACKS- Every athlete is required to purchase a spirit pack, which includes their uniform: (team shirt, singlet, shorts/spandex). Please note that the shirt and shorts are the same from last year, while the jersey is going to be different from last fall. Orders for your spirit pack (except for the jersey) will be online with Cassel’s Sports & Awards. Jerseys will be sold by the team, and will need a check, made out to CHS Cross Country, with your name and size on it. Additional items (sweats, hats, warmups, etc) will also be available on our team store. We will have an initial order made by June 21st, and a second one put in on Friday, August 9th (after tryouts). If you are not sure if you are going to make the team (or if you will tryout), please wait to order your spirit pack. We will only give refunds to REQUIRED items purchased by those who tryout and don’t make the team.
- Please consider attending Blue Ridge Running Camp in late July. There are other camps out there; this is the one I am personally familiar with, and personally endorse. This is NOT our team camp, but can be a beneficial experience for all runners. Varsity level runners are STRONGLY encouraged to attend.
- Purchase a GOOD pair of RUNNING shoes. These should be a pair of shoes that are just for training, and not for everyday wear. These should not be basketball shoes, tennis shoes, or cross trainers. I recommend going to a running specialty store, such as Potomac River Running or Pacers. These stores are owned and managed by runners and offer discounts for HS athletes. Moreover, they will help fit you with a shoe that is appropriate for your feet.
- Keep track of all announcements/info by checking our team website (www.chargercctrack.com) regularly. We also use a Facebook group, titled "Chantilly HS Cross Country/Track & Field". We invite and encourage all athletes and parents to join our group in order to stay informed. We will also use REMIND. Please sign up at: https://www.remind.com/join/f463fg.
- Please study your workout schedule carefully. Starting is always the hardest part. Select the appropriate group, contact your teammates, and start running. Captains practices will begin on Monday, June 17th. Over the summer, we will meet at 7:00 am on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday & Fridays. While conditioning is not mandatory, please understand that if you are in town, it is an expectation. It will help to condition you as an athlete, and the team as a whole.
Momiji Barlow, Joshua Haug, Adam Jaynes, Emma Lenz
- Both teams (Boys and Girls) advancing to the state meet
- Boys & Girls competing for conference, regional and state championships as a TEAM!
- Building a solid team based on mutual respect for yourselves and your teammates
- Having a maximum number of athletes placing at the district meet.
Within the context of these pursuits:
- Daily self-improvement, both physically and mentally.
- Development of “we, not me” attitude.
- Measurable increase in strength, endurance, flexibility and speed.
- Respect for teammates, school, coaches, parents, opponents and sport.
“Somewhere in the world someone is training when you are not. . .When you race him, he will win!”.
Tom Fleming’s Boston Marathon training sign on his wall (HE WON!)
REQUIRED SUPPLEMENTALS. . .THE HIDDEN KEY!!!
Pushups- Between sets of stretching- BEFORE & AFTER (8 sets) (Males- 21; Females- 16)
Abdominal Exercises- 4 sets of crunches/Chinese thinkers/side-to sides/etc- on all non-weightroom days
On two of your easy days a week, finish off your run with 6-8 75-100m striders, preferably on grass
REMEMBER, THE ONLY WAY TO BECOME A GOOD RUNNER IS TO RUN.
Substituting running w/cycling, rollerblading, swimming, etc will only make you a good cyclist, rollerblader, or swimmer. Cross training is to be SUPPLEMENTAL, or for injury substitution.
Contact Coach Gilchrist ASAP if you are developing injurie