Girls JV Lacrosse
Chantilly Girls Lacrosse
LACROSSE TRYOUTS AND CRITERIA
"RIGHT FIT, NOT BEST FIT"
Welcome to Chantilly lacrosse!
The Chargers are looking for dedicated student-athletes who take pride in their school and are willing to make a maximum effort on the lacrosse field.
You can attend tryouts ONLY after completing all the paperwork required by Chantilly High School and Fairfax County Public Schools.
You must have a valid physical on file prior to tryouts. Not having a physical completed by the first day of tryouts will greatly diminish your chances of making a team.
LACROSSE TRYOUT SCHEDULE
Try-outs are from 19 FEB to 21 FEB 2018. Please note that VHSL requires only 3 days of tryouts. You must attend every tryout unless you have made specific arrangements in advance with the coaching staff. Please refer to the practice schedule for specific time and location at www.chantillysports.org under either the JV or Varsity girls’ lacrosse section. **Please read below.
The coaching staff will be looking for coachable athletes, good teammates and skilled players who have a great work ethic and a strong desire to learn.
Prior lacrosse experience or skill helps. Prospective student-athletes will be evaluated for their overall athletic ability and level of lacrosse skill. Coaches will apply the following criteria IN ORDER:
1. COACHABLE: This means you are positive, competitive and eager to learn. You do not talk back after being corrected.
2. GOOD TEAMMATE: This means you respect your teammates on and off the field, in/out of season and you work to make them better. Do your actions towards your teammates contribute towards a safe and positive environment? You remind them to do things such as communicate on defense, for example, but you don’t yell, you don’t try to coach them on technique and you don’t behave in a condescending manner. Being a good teammate means you take problems/complaints to the coach; you don’t complain to teammates. You play for the other person.
3. CHARACTER: Are you a good person? How do you represent yourself and this program outside of lacrosse?
4. SKILL: Left/right handed passes/catches, ground balls, defensive knowledge.
5. POSITION: Players whose skills fit a specific need for the team’s overall balance.
ATTITUDE EVALUATION: Prospective players should be willing to try hard, make mistakes, learn from those mistakes and keep trying. Coaches will take note of those players who listen,
follow directions and ask questions when necessary and appropriate. Right fit not the best fit.
SKILL/COMPETITION EVALUATION: Prospective players will be asked to demonstrate their understanding of basic lacrosse skills (defense, passing, shooting, cradling) in competitive situations. Coaches will take note of those players who demonstrate progress while learning new skills.
As with most team sports, coaches will evaluate players for their ability and potential to fill specific positional needs (midfield, defense, goalie, attack).
ATTENDANCE OR NON-ATTENDANCE AT NON-MANDATORY, OUT OF SEASON OTA’S, IS NOT TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION FOR PLACEMENT; HOWEVER, THESE OPPORTUNITIES ARE OFFERED FOR IMPROVEMENT
**THE COACHING STAFF RESERVES THE RIGHT TO USE THE LAST SCRIMMAGE AS AN ASSESSMENT TOOL FOR MAKING THE PROGRAM.
All: For your planning purposes, below are the dates we have as our designated green days. Green days are sessions where coaches are permitted to coach and/or instruct student athletes. It is to our advantage to attend as many sessions as possible (weather permitting) to prepare for the 2018 season. Thank you very much for reserving these dates for your daughter's attendance. Coach Chen
**All green days are on Saturdays from at the stadium field of Chantilly High School.
- , 16, 2017
- , 13, 20, 2018
- , 10, 2018
For your situational awareness as well, spring sports begin . While this is a holiday, we still hold tryouts so plan your leave accordingly so as not to miss the first day.